Choosing the right emergency contraception
Emergency contraception may prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. However, for it to be most effective, it has to be used as soon as possible.
Talk to your pharmacist or ask them for details about your emergency contraception options.
Have you had unprotected sex?
- Did the condom slip off or break?
- Did you forget to:
– Take your contraceptive pill?
– Insert your contraceptive ring?
– Apply your contraceptive patch?
- Did your diaphragm or cap slip or did you forget to use it?
- Did he fail to pull out in time?
- Did you forget to use any contraception?
Emergency contraception options
There are two different emergency contraceptive options:
- “Morning after pill” tablet for oral use (ellaOne®)
- Intrauterine device (or coil) to be fitted in the womb